Posted on February 4th, 2019
We are working in collaboration with the Minnesota Department of Education (MDE) to ascertain where school districts are with the impact of the inclement weather days from last week. You may have seen the following: “The governor has assured local school districts that they will not be penalized for keeping their students safe,” a spokesperson for Walz’s office said. If only it were that easy!
After conversations with my Superintendent’s organization and MDE, the legislature would need to approve any modification to the state statute regarding days/hours of required time.
So with that uncertainty in mind we are currently out of snow days as a district for the 18-19 school year calendar. In an effort to be proactive due to construction needs and the fact we can not add days to the end of the school year.
- We need to proactively add February 18th, 2019 (President’s Day) as a student/teacher day.
- This will be an E day for Secondary Students and Staff.
- Please be advised April 22, 2019 (Monday after Easter) may also need to be a school day (teacher and student).
- This will allow us to bank a snow day and possibly a second if needed. Any snow days that are not used will come off the end of the school year.
- If things work out and we are forgiven those 3 days from last week we will make adjustments to the calendar in May, such as getting students out of school earlier.
- Graduation will remain Friday May 24th, 2019.
- If there are issues or concerns about adding this day to your family schedule, due to plans you may already have, please contact the school and your student will be excused.
Thank you as always for flexibility during the construction process:
Superintendent Hayfield Community Schools